Sunday, November 3, 2013

VEGAN CHICKEN NUGGETS

One of the most classic happy hour items I see in bars that I miss after changing to a vegan diet are chicken strips and buffalo wings.  I'm realizing now that it wasn't so much the chicken part that I missed as it was the crispy fried outside drenched in your favorite BBQ sauce or hot wing sauce.  The inside of the delicious little morsels could be just about any vegetable or vegan meat replacement.  Its all about the crispy outside and a quality sauce.

After a happy hour at Yardhouse with only one vegan happy hour item (you guessed it...LETTUCE WRAPS!!!11one) I needed my fix of buffalo wings so I decided that I would make my own at home that week.  The wife unit doesn't share the same love of buffalo wing sauce as I do so I had to come to a compromise and instead of just drenching the golden nuggets in spicy orange deliciousness, I set up buffalo sauce, BBQ sauce and sweet and sour sauce in little dipping trays.  Oh the sacrifices I make...
Vegan Chicken Nuggets
  • 1 package Seitan cut into small nuggets (I've used the chicken flavor as well as the regular)
Vegan Chicken Nugget Batter
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp ground flax seed (optional)
  • You can also add spices to the batter such as black pepper, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, onion powder, etc. if you like for some added flavor
Heat some oil to about 350-360 degrees.  Dip the seitan nuggets into the batter and then fry in small batches until golden brown.  Move onto a paper towel covered plate to soak up the extra oil.  Enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment